Insuring for private medical care ensures you see the receive the best possible care and treatment when and how you need it. The ever increasing strain on NHS budgets make the provision or private care and ever increasing necessity and insuring against this cost provides a sensible and cost effective solution for you and your family.
Private medical insurance (PMI) is a protection plan designed to provide cover for the cost of private medical treatment, thus eliminating the need to be totally dependent on the NHS.
There are two main types of private medical insurance policy. Indemnity policies that meet the costs of having private medical treatment for an acute illness or injury on a short-term basis. This could include a private room in a hospital, surgeons' and other specialists' fees, outpatient treatment like physiotherapy and day-care treatment including surgical and diagnostic procedures. Or, Cash plan policies, which provide a lump-sum benefit payment in certain situations. Both Indemnity and Cash plan policies can have additional benefits such as:
- Cover for partners and/or children
- One-to-one telephone support for cancer and heart patients
- Customer health checks and helplines
- Access to complementary therapies and psychiatric treatment
- Dental and optical treatment
- Treatment at home for intravenous therapies like chemotherapy